Integrating Node.js and Drupal
- Day: Friday
- Start time: 9:00am
- Room: Room 11A
Do you love Drupal but find that it’s not the right platform for some of the realtime applications you want to build? Are all your friends having fun with Node.js and you want to be one of the cool kids (again)? This hands-on training course will teach you how to create a realtime web application in Node.js and Drupal. You’ll write code all day :-)
After this class, you’ll have written your first node.js application(s) and have integrated Node.js’s realtime wizardry into Drupal’s content management magic.
Our Web Chefs will show you how to:
- Write your first node.js application from the ground up
- Understand how to use NPM node’s world class package manager
- Write non-blocking asynchronous code and how to spot it’s evil twin: synchronous blocking code
- Know what Node.js is good at and when a different tool is better
- Gain experience with the popular Node.js framework: Express
- Write API endpoints in Drupal to connect to your realtime application
- Write code that reads and writes data to and from your Drupal site.
- Understand the new Node.js Drupal module.
Laptop with SFTP, SSH software and a text editor installed. Any Local operating system is fine, but keep in mind that our trainers don’t have experience debugging Windows connectivity problems.
- Have used JQuery for to add functionality
- Experience with AJAX patterns helpful
- Comfortable using the command line to navigate directories and launch programs (cd, ls, etc.)
- Comfortable writing PHP to use Drupal hooks and have written a custom module
- Working knowledge of the services module is helpful, and a great thing to try beforehand.